On November 10th 1672 the Council of the Republic of Lucca, in
order to meet the increasing interest for the opera, in a town
with a flourishing trade as Lucca, decreed to open a public theatre
adapting an old convent.
Since then two opera seasons were staged in the Public Theatre:
one at Carnival and the other in Autumn followed by prose performances.
An appropriate office was installed for administrative matters
and for the maintenance of the theatre which worked until 1799
when Lucca lost its independence and submitted to the French domination.
Teatro Nazionale, according to the French style, the theatre suffered
a period of crisis, solved by Maria Luisa Borbone, new sovereign
of Lucca after the Congress of Vienna.
Completely restored on the project of the architect Giovanni Lazzarini,
it received the name "Teatro del Giglio", chosen by Maria Luisa
Borbone, in honour of the lily flower which stands on the coat
of arms of the Borbone; it was solemnly inaugurated on 17th August
Since then, the elegant theatre with its noble neo-classic prospect
has welcomed the best singers and the most important operas of
the greatest authors of the Italian melodrama.
In 1985 Teatro del Giglio has received the nomination of "Teatro
di Tradizione" conferred by the Ministero dello Spettacolo.
Il progetto "Puccini oltre la scena"
"Puccini oltre la scena" is the first section of the project "Puccini
in 20th century 1999 - 2002", subdivided into four annual theatricals
reviews, elaborated and organized by the Teatro del Giglio, the
municipality of Lucca and the Centro Studi Giacomo Puccini.
The project aims to link the name of the famous composer to Lucca
in a national and international prospective.
The first theatrical review, started on 6th October 1999 with
the concert of the Orchestra Filarmonica della Scala directed
by Riccardo Muti, and was followed by two others important events
and the Berlino Orchestra directed by Christian Thielemann and
the Messa with 4 hands directed by Michel Corboz ended on 2nd
February with the lyric concert held by Rajna Kabaiwanska "One
hundred years of Tosca",organized in occasion of the centenary
of the first representation of the opera.
On the same day the exhibition dedicated to the Centenary took
place and it will last to the end of February. The next three
parts of the program include, in the next three years 2000-2002,
the performances of Trittico, La Fanciulla del West, e Turandot,
followed exhibitions, meetings and publications.
Il centro studi Giacomo Puccini
The Centro studi Giacomo Puccini was founded in 1996 in Lucca,
the native town of Giacomo Puccini.
It aims to promote every kind of research on Puccini and his town
milieu, on the music of that time and on the opera theatre after
him. It also intends to collect and to catalogue every kind of
source-original, photocopy, or electronic form - such as letters,
musical and literal sketches, copies of signatures, print scores,
in their different versions to furnish the men of culture and
his fans with a rich library of all the publications on the artist
produced in the world; and the richest bibliographical material.
The purpose of the centre is to cooperate with all those who work
on the stage, particularly in theatres that perform the operas
The collocation of the centre, in Teatro del Giglio, depends on
the close collaboration between the two institutions in projects
on the personality and works of Puccini.